PROJECT: Colinton Road
LOCATION: 74 Colinton Road, Edinburgh
CLIENT: Private client
STATUS: Completed on site 2014
DESCRIPTION: Sub-division and refurbishment of a mid terrace town house forming part of a category B listed Victorian terrace.
Originally designed by Sir James Gowans in 1884, this stone-built listed property was purchased by the clients in 2012. Gilberts were approached to gain planning and listed building consent for the three storey town house to be sub-divided into a two level upper flat, to be the family home, and a lower garden property to let.
Access from the upper levels to the garden had to be maintained and this was achieved with the insertion of a spiral staircase at the rear of the house, giving access onto a new patio area. Both flats had new kitchens and bathrooms installed, with the original stair linking ground and garden levels being removed. Extensive restoration work was also undertaken to the original ornate stone chimneys and new fireplaces were added to each of the flats.
Gilberts were later commissioned by the same clients to gain planning consent for a small office/garden room at the end of the rear garden, backing-on to the Union canal.